Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Who gets depressed on vacation?

As it turns out, I do. Recently I had the worst episode of depression and anxiety I’ve had in the past three years. Because it happened while I was on vacation, the experience was very discouraging and troubling. I have been struggling to understand why it occurred and what I can do better.


The pace at work is very fast and there is a great deal of activity but by the last Friday in July, I had my work sufficiently organized and I was looking forward to a week off.

On Saturday my wife Pat and I were on a short flight to Victoria. After settling into our hotel, we went for a long walk in this beautiful city, enjoying the scenery and the great weather. On Sunday, Pat decided to go shopping and I went for another long walk. I was thrilled with all the beautiful flowers everywhere, the hot sunshine and the relief of being away from the pressures of work. In hindsight, I was probably much too high that day but failed to pick up on this warning sign.

Later that evening, consistent with my pattern over the years, in an instant my mood changed. I remember thinking how silly it was not to be happy on vacation, but the avalanche of negative thoughts was unstoppable. Every flaw in my wife became enormously magnified. I was angry at myself for feeling this way while on vacation. If this could happen on vacation, I thought, it could happen during retirement. And if I was going to be miserable in retirement, what was the point of living? For the next four days I thought there was no hope of ever being happy and that I might as well put a gun to my head to end my misery.

I was functional for those four days. Pat and I did the things we had planned but I was living on two levels. I was merely going through the motions of doing what was planned but mentally I was miserable. We went to the Butchart Gardens, which are incredibly beautiful, but that did not lift my mood. We visited friends we had not seen in many years, but I was very much faking my mood. Each day I hoped to awaken feeling normal only to be disappointed.

When I am depressed I become very introverted. It is more than not feeling like talking, it is being in a state where talking would take great effort, more effort than I can muster. Needless to say, silence while on vacation is not conducive to positive interaction between a husband and wife. Unfortunately we feed off each others’ negativity and the cycle is hard to break.

But as always, after a few days, four in this case, the dense fog I was in lifted and my mood changed. I was again capable of talking. Life returned to normal and Pat and I enjoyed the remaining days of our vacation.

This episode shocked me because it was severe and I had not had such depression for several years. What just happened? Why?

For the first six months after joining the Mental Health Commission of Canada as Chief Financial Officer, I was on a constant high. I was excited about having a great job with a great organization. Life was very, very good.

After about six months an incident occurred which upset me and brought me back down to earth. It did not trigger depression or anxiety, but it did end the period of a prolonged high. The stress of a demanding job built up over time but I seemed to be handling the challenge well. I was exercising regularly and eating well. But over the year and a half in my current position, sleeping well became more difficult. There was always so much to think about and it was hard to relax. When I started this job I would take Amitriptyline as a sleep aid , but only weekends. Over time, my usage increased to every night, although at a very low dose.

Then early in July, while on a thirty-minute run and hoping for a fast finish, I pulled a leg muscle and limped home. As a result of the injury I had to stop running and this has always been one of the best ways I manage stress. I tried to stay active but walking and gardening are just not the same. I had lost my best means of coping with stress and relaxing.

On my first day back in the office after vacation I was pleasantly surprised to learn that my colleague and friend, Phil Upshall, was in the office. I shared my experience with him and, of course, he was understanding and empathetic. He had a number of helpful suggestions including journaling but I am choosing to blog instead. He also suggested I reconnect with the psychologist I had been seeing a few years ago. He urged me to develop a preventive plan for future vacations. It felt very good to talk with Phil.

Pat and I have been talking a lot about this episode as well. I fear I would be lost without her yet when I need her most, my behavior drives her far away. We are going to try to address this unhealthy dynamic in our relationship.
A week after vacation I went on a trip to Nova Scotia for a family wedding and had an inspiring visit with my mother. At 89, she is mentally completely sound and continues to enjoy a long, healthy retirement. Following in her footsteps is what I really want to do. I know I have much to live for.

6 comments:

  1. Your article in CMA Magazine (October issue) is a bold disclosure of the truth faced by employees nowdays. Due to stress ,work pressures, tight deadlines lot of employees suffered with Mental illness.
    Me myself is a CWA and has seen couple of times that Finance professionals are in tight pressures and gone thru the cycle of Mental illness.
    I hope in the age of stress the mental illness is to be recognized as a part of life and the opportunity should be to be given to individuals who has recovered from any sort of mental illness or have a mental illness history in the past.
    In case if you are in Toronto than do give me couple of minutes for meeting with you.

    Regards
    Davinder Bhatia, B.Com , AICWA
    davindar2000@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    Thanks for sharing this. I can relate to how it is very hard to shut off the mind and somehow seperate the work/ personal time. Is it possible that as you have immersed yourself so deeply in your work over the previous 18 months, the mere fact that you were away from it somehow caused a negative reaction? I am somewhat similar in that I seem to get feelings of guilt while on vacation as I am not working. Seems rather ridiculous when you think of it, the whole purpose of the vacation being to rest and recharge.

    I can only suggest what I would do. Try not to overthink it. I also realize this can be very hard to do and I have on many occaisions trid to put things out of my mind only to have them stand there outside banging on the door wanting to come back in to take over the thought processes.
    It is unfortunate that this happened to you in Victoria. Nobody needs this type of experience while getting away from it all. I will add one further suggestion to the valuable ones Phil gave you. Buy a fishing rod!

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation for having the courage to speak about anxiety, depression! Keep up with your blogue. You are role model!

    Amelie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was exactly what I was looking for... I have been off work for 2 1/2 weeks (I'm a kindergarten teacher) and am going crazy... I can hardly get out of bed. It's been a few days that I've been feeling this way... horrible! Even though I am really stressed out at work, I really want to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John,
    I was so encouraged to find this post as I have, for as long as I can remember suffered exactly the same kind of depressive episode when on holiday. I have a history of mild depression with a few periods of something more serious, but have always found the first few days of a holiday to be a real challenge. My husband and I now call it my "holiday-blip" and can laugh about it to a certain extent, but I also withdraw from him in the same way as you described with your partner. I have been struggling to work out what it's all about and think it has something to do with a change in routine and a kind of homesickness. Having children in the past few years has helped as there is still a routine to be maintained, and I find that if I research an area well before I go, then it's less of a culture shock when I arrive (even if it's just going camping an hour away from home!). As with you, by day four it's usually lifted and I can enjoy the rest of my break, but it does mean that a week's holiday is really not enough for me as I'm only just beginning to unwind before having to come again.
    Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for your blog post, it's helped to know that I'm not alone!
    Best wishes
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me at times change brings on anxiety and depression. Glad you enjoyed some of the vacation. Im feeling anxious before!

    ReplyDelete